Senior Property Underwriting Specialist OR Senior Underwriter, Quebec Region
Reports To: Senior Vice President, Montreal Branch Leader
Liberty Mutual Canada is the Canadian operation of Liberty Mutual Insurance Company. We offer a broad suite of commercial insurance products and solutions to mid-size and large Canadian companies with Canadian, North American and/or multinational risks. Liberty Mutual Canada has over 250 employees and services its clients coast-to-coast from our regional offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Montreal and Halifax.
At Liberty Mutual Canada, diversity is about all of us. Our promise to you is a culture that is collaborative, rewarding and empowering. We are committed to attracting and retaining employees across all dimensions of diversity and believe that recognizing, appreciating, and applying the unique insights, perspectives and backgrounds of each person cultivates an atmosphere of trust and respect. Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) is how we do business, and we’ll continue to invest in it to create a stronger global organization.
If you are unsure whether or not your experience matches every requirement above, we encourage you to apply anyway. We are looking for varied and diverse perspectives and experiences that we can add to our team!
Our core values guide all of our decision-making and come to life through our benefits and employee programs. We offer:
- A premier flexible work environment (a combination of on-site & remote work) supporting our employees in their pursuit of a healthy work-life balance
- Competitive health & dental benefits plan
- Market-leading pension plan
- Competitive time off policy
- External education & tuition reimbursement programs
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs
- An opportunity to get involved and become a member of one of our national employee committees – social responsibility, employee engagement, diversity, equity & inclusion
The primary focus of this role will be underwriting, maintaining, and growing an assigned portfolio of P&C business within the Quebec Region. The focus will be on Property business, other key products may include P&C Package and Umbrella/ Excess Liability.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Production and underwriting of an assigned book of new and renewal business, including analysis of risk and negotiation of policy terms and conditions to ensure rate adequacy, profitability and consistency with Liberty Mutual Canada’s corporate strategy and treaties.
- Work with National and Regional Product Leaders to develop effective underwriting resources such as underwriting tools, quote templates, and presentations, as appropriate
- Lead whole account client management by identifying key client needs, supporting them with Liberty resources and building and/or strengthening client relationships within the local market.
- Take a leadership role to expand and maintain Liberty broker/client base through regular sales calls/visits promoting Liberty product offerings.
- Provide support to other Underwriters in marketing, sales, and underwriting efforts.
- Support and develop Underwriters’ technical capabilities to continue to expand market presence in Quebec.
- Continue to develop and demonstrate Property knowledge and expertise. As a key technical resource, assist Quebec team members with technical development and support a profitable regional Property strategy.
- Keep the management team abreast of key developments on broker/market intelligence.
- Works with targeted brokers to achieve dedicated financial KPI’s while supporting any national underwriting strategies and its associated messaging within the market.
- Review, evaluate and recommend changes within local market conditions, where appropriate.
- Effectively leverage and support others to leverage internal resources including Risk Control, Actuary and Claims.
- Work closely with other Liberty business units to leverage multi-line business opportunities.
- Demonstrate effective prioritization of workload and provide superior customer service.
- Participate in active knowledge sharing across the company via TEAMS platform and other avenues when appropriate (i.e., UW Sessions, presentations).
- Other duties as may be assigned.
Skills & Qualifications:
- A minimum of 7 years of insurance industry experience underwriting P&C insurance products with an emphasis on Property.
- University degree or equivalent post-secondary education with relevant insurance designations/ education is an asset.
- Self-starter with strong analytical skills, in addition to strong business and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong market and broker relationships and ability to develop and drive business opportunities.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
Interested candidates should submit a resume to CareersCanada@libertymutual.com indicating the job title in the subject line.
Liberty Mutual Canada is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment where all employees feel valued and supported. We are committed to building a workforce that is representative of the communities we operate in and serve. If you require an accommodation for the recruitment/interview process due to a disability (which may be invisible or visible, temporary or permanent), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Return to job opportunities listing