We’re proud to be one of the top domestic D&O insurers in Canada.
With more than 30 years of experience, we’re ready to protect your private organization from claims against your trusted directors and officers.
Why choose Liberty? Because our market-leading private advantage liability (PAL) package offers D&O, PTL, and EPL with entity coverage in one efficient policy, with extensions that keep pace with today’s rapidly shifting legal landscape.
Supported by our experienced underwriters, claims specialists, and risk engineers, you’ll gain peace of mind with coverage tailored to your industry and your business.
A protective partnership
Solutions for complex risks
Liberty Mutual Canada is proud to be one of the top 5 domestic D&O insurers in Canada.* Our market-leading Private Advantage Liability (PAL) product is equipped with D&O, PTL and EPL with Entity coverage, designed with extensions that keep pace with the rapid changes of today’s legal environment. Regardless of the industry you serve, our PAL product can be tailored to fit the unique needs of your business.
We have a broad appetite covering a majority of industries with a few exceptions noted below. However, generally we are targeting companies that are financially stable with experienced directors and officers.
Generally excluded from appetite
- Adult entertainment
- Construction (general contractors)
- Retirement/long-term care homes
*based on GWP as reported in the 2022 OSFI Results
- Non-rescindable “Side A” insuring agreement
- Additional $1M “Side A” limit of liability for executives
- NIL deductible for “Side A” claims, defence costs for “Side B” claims and “Side C” claims occurring in Canada (except from a claim based on wrongful employment practices) and investigation costs or public relations costs
- Broad definition of “executive” and “employee”
- Bodily Injury, Property Damage (BI/PD) exclusion not applicable to:
- emotional distress, humiliation or mental anguish or injury resulting from libel, slander, defamation or disparagement or from a violation of an individual’s right of privacy caused by wrongful employment practices
- defence costs on account of any claim under section 217.1 of the Criminal Code, R.S.C. 1985, c. C-46, Bill 168, the United Kingdom Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act of 2007, or any similar legislation, against an Insured Individual
- Personal Coverage for statutory Liabilities in Bankruptcy
- Public Relations Costs for Crises (Sublimited)
- Coverage for Penal and Criminal Proceedings for both the Insured Individuals and Insured Entity (Sublimited)
- Coverage for any formal inquiry, investigation or commission for both the Insured Individuals and Insured Entity (Sublimited)
- Access to our a highly-acclaimed broker portal, Liberty Quote, which issues policies immediately
- Ability to offer multi-year policies up to three-years to ensure greater protection and reduce the time and cost spent on annual renewals
- Ability to offer up to 10 years “Run-off” coverage when the parent organization is sold, providing extra security for the executive team
- Experienced underwriting and claims team with the ability to correspond in English, French, Spanish, Cantonese & Mandarin
- Now offering “fast-track” renewal process making it easier and less time consuming to process renewals
About Liberty Quote
You wanted an easier way to submit applications. This is it. Liberty Quote is an online portal that can be used to instantly obtain quotes, submit applications, and bind policies for private Directors and Officers (D&O), non-profit D&O, Employment Practices Liability (EPL), Pension/Fiduciary Liability, and Commercial Crime.
Some key features of Liberty Quote include:
- Limits of Liability up to $5 million ($1 million for crime)
- Online application can be completed by client or broker
- Real time quotes on a broad Private D&O/non-profit D&O/EPL/Fiduciary or Crime policy wording
- Instant policy documentation via email
- Able to process clients with revenues up to $100 million, and companies with up to 500 employees (including 50 in the U.S.)
Liberty Mutual Canada™ is the registered business name under which the Canadian branch of the Liberty Mutual Insurance Company operates in Canada. This literature is a summary only and does not include all terms, conditions, or exclusions of the coverage described. Please refer to the actual policy language for complete details of coverage and exclusions.